Dear MA Families:
Registrar’s update: Re-enrolment due next Tuesday
The online re-enrolment form and all supporting documents must be returned to the Registrar’s Office by Tuesday, next Feb. 21, to confirm your child(ren)’s place in his/her program for the 2017-18 School Year. Visit https://schoolforms.montessori.on.ca/re-enrolment to begin the online re-enrolment process.
School Community Focus Groups
Montessori Academy families, teachers and staff were recently invited to participate in School Community Focus Groups to explore topics of interest and importance to our community. Combined with responses from the School Community Survey conducted earlier in the school year, your input during these focus group discussions will help to confirm the School’s strategic priorities for the next five years.
Additional focus groups have been scheduled to ensure all those who wish to participate have the opportunity to do so. Parents and family members are invited to participate in focus group discussions to be held on Wednesday March 1 and Thursday March 2, 2017. To register, please click on the link below. Once you have registered, you will be able to select the focus group option that is most convenient for you.
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR A FOCUS GROUP
On behalf of the Strategic Planning Committee, thank you to the parents who participated in last night’s focus group; I encourage others to participate in the upcoming groups. Your perspectives are extremely valuable, and we anticipate robust discussions that will help us determine the priorities and initiatives in the next five-year plan.
Jim Middlemiss, Chair, Strategic Planning Committee; and Casa parent
Junior and Senior Choir – rehearsals at Colborne St. Gym
Please note, starting this week, choir rehearsals have moved to the Colborne St. Gym. Senior Choir will rehearse Tuesdays at 8:00 am and Junior Choir will rehearse Thursdays at 8:00 am.
- We have a PD Day this Friday, and Family Day on Monday. Enjoy your extra long weekend!
- Grad Photos for Year 8s will be taken next week, on Wednesday, Feb. 22.
- MMUN In-school Presentation is on Thursday, Feb. 23.
- Boston Pizza Night reminder – Feb 22: Boston Pizza at Hyde Park is no longer taking reservations for our Celebrity Server Night. However, takeout orders are encouraged; sales from the evening’s takeout orders will count toward the school’s fundraising. Also, there will be first-come, first-served seating in the bar area.
- Life After Montessori – Cancelled: Unfortunately, we have cancelled our Life After Montessori event on Feb. 28 because of low response.
- Next Coffee With Margaret session: Next Wednesday, Feb. 22, from 8:45-9:45 am, we’ll discuss “How do we support them now so they can cope in high school, university and beyond?” To reserve your spot, call the Main Office 519-433-9121, email Reception@montessori.on.ca, or stop by the front desk to sign up in the Coffee With Margaret binder!
Leadership Program – Upper Elementary Girls
For the last six weeks 13 of our Year 4 & 5 girls participated in a Girls Leadership Program after school on Tuesdays. This was our second year offering this program, which is run by female members of the Western University Rotaract Club. The girls participated in sessions on thought-provoking discussions and activities about self-esteem, bullying, health and fitness, media, gender equality, and developing world issues.
The feedback from the girls and parents was very positive. Some of the comments from the students who participated:
- I learned a lot of things. Like if you say something to someone about a peer, even if it isn’t mean, it can spread by gossip and turn out bad.
- I learned more about friendship and gender equality.
- I learned to accept myself as who I am and not hide in the shadows. I learned to be a good human.
Bex – Principal for the Day
A message from last week’s honorary Principal:
Hi my name is Bex. I was principal for the day on Friday. Thank you to Mommy and Daddy for letting me be principal for the day. Today, with Margaret, we visited all of the classes. I had spaghetti at Bertoldi’s and watched a science experiment in Upper Elementary about rocks. I got to have playtime at Westmount today. When I left every classroom I said, “Have a great day.”
Westmount snack time prep work
The children in our Westmount Toddler and Casa classroom help to prepare our snacks. They can be found joyfully chopping, mixing and serving. They also help to set the tables and tidy up after lunch. The children find great joy and purpose in caring for their environment and the community that resides there.
Valentines and Elementary Box Lunch
Our Elementary Box Lunch tradition on Valentine’s Day is a favourite at the school. The creativity is amazing – and the treats are very yummy! Thank you to all the students (and parents) who helped create these memorable meals!
Looking for grit? Montessori’s got it! Here’s a great blog post about the resiliency that Montessori inspires in children: http://montessorirocks.org/montessori-grit/