Development Director – Job Opportunity
Montessori Academy of London offers something unique in London: traditional, accredited Montessori education that we believe gives children the best start in life. To support our efforts to provide families in the area a world-class alternative education option, the school seeks an experienced, dynamic and intuitive Development Director with a minimum of five years of experience in not-for-profit fundraising.
As the successful candidate, you will be responsible for all the Academy’s fundraising initiatives as well as donor relations and database management using Raiser’s Edge. You have strong written and verbal communication skills, can develop meaningful relationships with various stakeholders, and will lead the development program for the Academy. You are a critical and independent thinker, collaborative team member, problem solver and self-starter who will help the school community reach its fundraising goals.
- Create and implement an annual Development Plan for the Academy and report on progress with the Executive Director and Board of Governors. Participate in Board meetings as requested.
- Write and maintain, with the Communications Director, development communications for the Academy and broader community.
- Oversee all donor relations and management (prospecting, cultivation, stewardship and retention).
- Oversee and maintain donor database with Raiser’s Edge as well as manage all aspects of gift processing (fund disbursement, acknowledgment and receipting).
- Work closely with the Finance Director to ensure gifts are directed to proper funds and CRA guidelines are met in accordance with all gifts received.
- Plan, organize and implement all fundraising initiatives (annual appeal, major gifts, online giving, sponsorship, corporate partnership, events).
- Identify possible grant and funding opportunities; write proposals to access them where applicable.
- Support community relations as a representative for the school at community functions and events as requested.
- Support Alumni engagement and relations.
- Attend and participate in Montessori Academy events during and outside of school hours.
- Five years of experience fundraising for a not-for-profit organization.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with various stakeholders.
- Ability to influence stakeholders through persuasive written and verbal communications.
- Exceptional verbal communication skills with the ability to clearly and confidently communicate messages, both one-on-one and to larger audiences.
- Exceptional written communications, including grant writing.
- Strong networking skills.
- Strong computer skills, especially using Raiser’s Edge and Microsoft Office.
- Ability to efficiently organize and manage a diverse range of assignments while meeting deadlines; thorough attention to detail and consistent follow-through.
- Ability to manage confidential information appropriately and with discretion.
- Passionate about the importance of providing an innovative and alternative choice for educating children in London.
- Police Vulnerable Sector Check will be required as a condition of employment.
Email your resume with cover letter to email@example.com by 4:00 pm on Friday, February 17, 2017. No phone calls, please. Applications will be reviewed as they are received. We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Candidates selected for interviews will need to provide samples of their writing with regards to appeals, acknowledgements and/or donor communications. Anticipated start date is Monday, April 3, 2017.