Our school has been London’s leader in Montessori education for more than 50 years. Established in 1968, a lot has changed since then: the location, the number of students we serve – even the name of the school. But our commitment to Dr. Maria Montessori’s vision of education has not.
In fact, over the years, Montessori Academy of London has become a pre-eminent Montessori school – renowned in Canada and around the world for the exceptional quality of our Montessori program.
We were the first Montessori school in Canada to offer an Adolescent program (Grades 7 & 8), and one of the first to receive accreditation by the Canadian Council of Montessori Administrators (CCMA).
Montessori Academy offers something unique and valuable to the London community: Education choice. Specifically, high-quality, accredited Montessori education that puts the needs of the child first. Education that teaches children the value of being confident, compassionate and engaged citizens. Education that prepares children for life.
Because we are committed to providing the families in London education choice, we are a board-governed registered charity (Charitable Registration #1052 29124 RR0001) dedicated to providing quality alternative education in the area. Our volunteer board includes current parents, alumni students and families, and community members.
VISION & MISSION
Our vision is a community of confident, compassionate and engaged citizens who think globally, act responsibly and collaborate successfully to create a humane world.
Our mission is to provide a world-class Montessori education that promotes academic excellence and prepares children and young adults to engage the world as active citizens and successful leaders.
- Founded in 1968
- Ages 18 months through 14 years
- Not-for-profit registered charity since 2010
- Accredited by the Canadian Council of Montessori Administrators (CCMA)
- Licensed under Canadian Childcare and Early Years since 2015
- Toddler – 18 months to 3 years of age
- Casa – 3 to 6 years of age (JK/SK)
- Elementary – Grade 1-6
- Junior High – Grades 7-8
- Camp Discovery (July & August) – 2 to 3 years of age
& 4 to 6 years of age
- Toddler & Casa – 135
- Elementary & Junior High (Grades 1-8) – 193
- Toddler & Casa – 24
- Elementary & Junior High– 17
- Specialty Programs – 8
FACILITIES: 5 Locations
- 311 Oxford Street West – Casa
- 711 Waterloo – Elementary and Administrative Office
- 718 Waterloo – Toddler & Casa
- 742 Waterloo – Junior High & Specialties
- 362 Commissioners Rd. West – Toddler & Casa
- Regular School Hours: 9:00 am-4:00 pm
- Extended Hours Programming:
7:30-9:00 am, 4:00-5:30 pm
- Office Hours: 8:30 am-4:30 pm
- Closed two weeks for the holidays – December-January
- Closed two weeks for March Break
- Closed statutory holidays
- No school during summer – July & August
Resources & links we like
Montessori Academy links
- MA’s Compost Program – The Londoner: https://www.thelondoner.ca/2017/05/04/talking-trash/wcm/a8feb506-9baa-9569-337e-2f6dd620f133
- Montessori Academy publications: https://montessori.on.ca/resources/publications/
- Our Annual Report: https://montessori.on.ca/annual-report/
Montessori & Education resources
- Canadian Council of Montessori Administrators: http://www.ccma.ca/
- Canadian Association of Montessori Teachers: https://www.camt100.ca/
- Laura Flores Shaw: https://laurafloresshaw.com/
- Stuart Shanker: https://self-reg.ca/
- Dr. Angeline Lillard: http://www.montessori-science.org/
- I Believe in Montessori: https://www.facebook.com/I.Believe.in.Montessori/
- Montistory: https://www.facebook.com/montistory/